I am a heavy user of Google Voice but the iPhone support is awful – it’s that basic.
There are four options:
- the dial interface to Google Voice – the average call takes about 24 digits !
- the Google Voice web app – runs in Safari and looks it It suffers from log-in limitations of iPhone Safari, and it’s just a web site
- the GV Mobile+ native app – only available if you Jailbreak your device
There are likely two directions for Google:
- deliver their own "client side web app" – direct from the GoogleVoice site
- deliver "some other app" that has Google Voice features in it – this might happen given their acquisition of Gismo5
I’d be happy with either of the "possible" Google Voice directions. I’d vote for a real app, especially since I have a Gizmo5 account. I’d vote for a "client side web app" almost as fast !