I “borrowed back” the drum arbor from the machinist so I could clean it up a bit and test fit all of the brass parts to the drive assembly. (I still need to give the arbor back to the machinist to clean up the end a bit more.) The results are, to paraphrase Carl, “not the same clock we picked up”.
Obviously, this is my attempt at the “before” and “after” pictures. I discovered the drum plate on the end was cast brass. As such, it will never get a mirror shine. It has enough casting imperfections that it will only get a satin appearance. I have not finished all of the polishing steps yet – so it will be somewhat better – but I am not expecting to see a reflection when I finish.
I have not taken any of the gears through final buff and polish yet but curiosity got the best of me. I had to see what the assembly looked like so I slid on the drum, catch gear, drive-train gear, maintaining gear, and the retaining collar.
(BTW: I can guarantee I don’t have all of the gears in the right order because I just went back and referenced my disassembly documentation. the maintaining gear and the drive-train gear are reversed.)
ttd = 28