I don’t have much to show for progress on the clock. I spend a couple hours on Saturday and about 5 hours Sunday at the bench grinder with a rotary wire brush wheel.
I managed to remove all the old paint and tarnish from all of the brass and copper parts. The layout table is covered with lots of bright parts with satin finish. I still have to fire up the tiny wire brush on my cable-drive attachment to get to the teeth of the gears and to clean the cutouts between the gear legs.
One thing that is becoming apparent – this clock is a construction of convenience. I am finding parts that should have been cast iron that were thrown together using cast bronze. some parts have bronze fittings with a brass bushing sleeve while others are all brass. When the clock is finished the “shiny parts” will be a few different colors from the different metals used.
I still can’t tell is this clock was an early prototype or a re-worked clock. From what little I have discovered about the clock makers (Arnold & Lewis), I’m guessing they made very few tower clocks. Heck, I could very well have pictures of both of them !
Once thing I am sure, I am exhausted. I just wish I could drink a beer. Boy I miss those …